How to Perform Laser Hair Removal on Your Bikini Line
First, let’s clear up the difference between the bikini line treatment as opposed to the Brazilian treatment since these two seem to get confused for each-other quite often. When performing laser hair removal with your Bareskin device, if you treat the two-inch area along the outer perimeter of the genital hair line, this is referred to as the bikini line.
An easier way to identify the bikini line is by simply putting on a bikini and referencing where the fabric starts; any hair that is not covered or that is two-fingers-width directly on the inside of the bikini is treated. A Brazilian treatment, however, is when you treat all the hair found on the groin and perianal area – basically a clean shave for your lower bits. Since these two procedures are drastically different, it is important to know which you are seeking.
Getting ReadyAfter you’ve determined that it is indeed the bikini line treatment you’re seeking, the first step is to go and hop in the shower. Wash away any sweat and dirt of the day’s events while also assessing the area that will soon be subjected to the laser. If the hair is any longer than a stubble, it is suggested that you shave. Use a fresh, never-before-used razor for the easiest experience. It isn’t required that your bikini line be completely bare before treatment; in fact, it may be easier to find the right starting point if there is a bit of a “guide” to show you. It is also important to:
- Be sure you don’t wax or pluck hairs, only shaving is safe to do.
- Dry the area completely before starting.
- Avoid applying any products to the area after showering.
- Avoid using this device if the area you plan on treating has a tattoo.
Starting the Process
Bareskin’s IPL hair removal device is an easy to use product. If there is ever any confusion you can simply refer to the provided manual that comes with every unit for further clarification. Otherwise, the first thing you should do is find your protective eyewear and a comfortable position by an outlet to plug in your machine.
Before turning it on, apply the head of the device at a perpendicular angle against your bikini line with the head laying as flat as you can manage. Then you can get stated. If this is your first time using Bareskin’s IPL device, or if it is your first time using it in this particular area, start off your machine on its lowest setting. Move the device in small, circular motions as you follow along your pre-determined path. Do NOT go back over a segment once it has been treated.
These at-home sessions are typically free of pain, but every experience with an IPL device is as different as the person using it. If you or someone you know is having trouble with a stringing or burning sensation, it is suggested they use a lower setting. If the lowest setting is already being used and there is still meaningful irritation to the skin, then there are a few things you can do to help.
Even if you aren’t experiencing any post-treatment pain, it is highly recommended to keep the area clean and as comfortable as possible. This means no clingy clothing, genital products, or completely bare tanning after using the device. You should also remember that:
- Darker skin pigments are more prone to burns.
- IPL hair removal works best with lighter skin and darker hair.
- If the above steps do not help, avoid continued use of the device.
After finishing up, you won’t have to worry about doing a treatment again for a while. During your first two months you should be using the Bareskin device once every two weeks for the best results. After that initial period, you’ll only have to do it once every month. As each session comes and goes you should slowly work your way up the intensity scale; the last of which is setting five.
This way you can observe which setting works best for both your skin and the removal of hair. Once an ideal compromise is found it is important you stick with it for all future uses. Soon your sessions will fly by with minimal hair growth between treatments. To get to these results, however, it is important you follow the steps above every single time and do not stray from your schedule.
Everyone is looking for a future in which they do not have to worry about problem hair anymore. It would be nice to have a life void of shaving entirely; this is the ideal end result for people seeking laser hair removal in the first place. To get to this point with your Bareskin IPL hair removal device it will take some time, dedication, and a little bit of luck. It’s true that not every skin type can achieve this goal regardless of the effort they put in, but it is completely possible for these same people to have thinner, slower growing hair with these steps:
- Take a shower; scrub the area you plan on treating.
- Shave the area with a sharp, clean razor. No waxing or plucking.
- Let the area dry completely. Do not apply cosmetics or other products to the area.
- Set up your laser hair removal device in a comfortable part of your home.
- Place the device at a 90-degree angle with the head against the area that is to be treated.
- Turn on the device, starting with the lowest intensity and working your way up.
- Move the device in small, circular motions; do not pass over an area more than once.
- Keep the treated skin clean and clear of irritants after your session.
- Observe hair growth and reactions of the skin and plan the next treatment accordingly.
- Repeat once every two weeks for two months and then once every month afterward.